RAPID RESPONSE SOCIAL WORKER
UnLocal, Inc. is a community-centered non-profit organization that, through various community-based partnerships, provides direct immigration legal services and immigration-related education to immigrant communities including families, youth, and LGBTQ+ immigrants in New York City. The Rapid Response Legal Collaborative is a new initiative of NYLAG, Make the Road NY, and UnLocal which aims to provide legal services for immigrants who are detained or at imminent risk of being detained or deported.
UnLocal, Inc. is hiring a Rapid Response Social Worker to join our growing efforts to provide community-led rapid responses for those impacted by ICE raids and expedited removal. The Rapid Response Social Worker will provide holistic support services to immigrant New Yorkers who are at imminent risk of being detained or deported and who interact with the Rapid Response Legal Collaborative. They will work with an interdisciplinary team of attorneys, paralegals, organizers, and educators.
- For immigrant New Yorkers who interact with the Rapid Response Legal Collaborative:
- Conduct comprehensive needs assessments and assist them in accessing services;
- Provide supportive counseling, crisis intervention, psycho-education, and trauma informed care;
- Advocate to secure appropriate and timely benefits, entitlements, and services from governmental and non-governmental agencies;
- Facilitate referrals for community-based services and mental health evaluations;
- Help transition from detention to the community; and
- Write letters of support and/or psychosocial evaluations, as needed.
- Collaborate directly with attorneys, paralegals, organizers, and educators;
- Conduct trainings for UnLocal and Rapid Response Legal Collaborative on topics related to Social Worker / Legal collaboration;
- Obtain SIFI certification, once eligible, and supervise MSW graduate students;
- Assist with internal and external reporting, including to city and state funders, and UnLocal Board of Directors;
- Participate in growing UnLocal’s institutional vision and values.
- Master of Social Work degree, New York State (NYS) license (LMSW) required;
- Fluency in Spanish (strongly preferred);
- Experience providing short term counseling, crisis intervention and safety planning;
- Experience assisting immigrant communities, low-income communities of color, LGBTQ+ immigrants, and those who are experiencing challenges related to detention, trauma, poverty, disability, and/or other systemically marginalizing factors;
- Familiarity with New York City & State institutions and social service systems;
- Experience providing client centered advocacy, in the areas of public benefits, housing, civil and/or criminal legal systems, child welfare, education, and healthcare;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Ability to work collaboratively, communicate effectively, manage multiple tasks and creatively problem solve;
- Strong self-direction skills and ability to work independently required;
- Excellent time and project management skills; and
- Commitment to social justice and anti-racism.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
- This is a full-time position. Salary is $70k and benefits include health, dental, vision, commuter, and access to 401k;
- 15 days vacation, 11 holidays, 5 sick days and the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day off;
- Annual $300 reimbursement for professional development and $360 reimbursement for wellness.
PROJECTED START DATE
- We are seeking to fill this position by December 14, 2020. This is a one-year position to start, with an expectation that it will extend beyond one year.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are interested in applying for this position and believe you would be a good fit, please send a cover letter, resume and a list of three references in one pdf (in that order) to Terry Lawson, UnLocal’s Executive Director, at email@example.com with “RR Social Worker” in the subject line. No phone calls please. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
UnLocal, Inc. values workplace diversity and strongly encourages applications from women, immigrants, people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and members of under-represented or disadvantaged communities. We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship, age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military status, marital status, familial status, caregiver status, predisposing genetic characteristics, veteran or active military service member status, pregnancy, arrest or conviction record, unemployment status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. UnLocal, Inc. values diverse experiences. People with criminal justice records are encouraged to apply.