POST GRADUATE FELLOWSHIP ANNOUNCEMENT
Background on UnLocal, Inc.
UnLocal, Inc. is a vibrant, grassroots non-profit organization providing direct immigration legal representation and immigration-related education to immigrant communities and our partner community-based organizations in and around New York City.
Fall 2020 Sponsorship
UnLocal, Inc. staff provides immigration representation and legal education and presentations on immigration law and related topics at workplaces, schools, community-based organizations, places of worship, etc. through the five boroughs of New York City. UnLocal, Inc. is looking to sponsor someone for one of the public interest fellowships, including Skadden and Equal Justice Works beginning in the Fall of 2020. We would like to collaboratively build a project proposal with a prospective fellow.
This is a very unique opportunity for a dedicated, creative and passionate individual who thrives in a challenging and collaborative work environment and who has an interest in organizing. We are looking for someone who is interested in community-based lawyering and who will be a good fit in terms of experience, vision, quality of work and energy. UnLocal, Inc. offers new lawyers a unique opportunity to advocate for social justice, develop outstanding legal skills, and devise ways to increase capacity in the non-profit and private sectors.
- Provide individual legal representation, consultations and advocacy in immigration matters, including SIJS, Asylum), post-deportation relief, general removal defense, etc. in both administrative and court proceedings;
- Assist with holistic advocacy by assessing the additional needs of our clients and connecting them with support in areas including education, health care, housing, etc.;
- Present on immigration topics in a wide-variety of settings, including public schools, community-based organizations, religious institutions, etc.;
- Document and report service delivery, administer client surveys, and implement recommendations to ensure compliance with funding requirements;
- D. Degree and or expected by spring 2019;
- Deep commitment to social justice lawyering and expanding access to immigration legal services;
- At least some coursework and/or relevant immigration law experience, including but not limited to SIJS, Asylum, deportation defense and family law experience;
- Fluency in Spanish is REQUIRED (other languages are a plus);
- Ability to work collaboratively, communicate effectively, manage multiple tasks and problem solve;
- Experience in public speaking and/or teaching;
- Passion for addressing the legal needs of undocumented individuals;
- Desire to assist in UnLocal’s growth.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
- Salary will be dependent upon which Fellowship is secured;
- UnLocal, Inc. will provide comprehensive health benefits, costs for membership to bar and other professional affiliations, and access to professional development training.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are interested in applying for this position and believe you would be a good fit, please send a cover letter, resume, writing sample and a list of two references in one pdf to Michele Lampach, UnLocal’s Executive Director to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Fellowship” in the subject line. No phone calls please. The application is rolling with a deadline of May 1, 2019 at 5pm.
UnLocal is an Equal Opportunity Employer, all qualified applicants will receive consideration. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, LGBTQ individuals, veterans, individuals with disabilities and members of under-represented and/or disadvantaged communities.